EASY VALENTINE’S DAY TREATS
Nothing says “I love you” more than some homemade gifts on Valentine’s Day. Surprise you friend or loved one with these easy chocolate dipped strawberries. You can get creative with how you decorate your chocolate covered strawberries. Drizzle them with white chocolate stripes or caramel sauce. How about coconut, Valentine’s Day sprinkles, roasted cacao nibs, ground up Oreo cookies or rainbow sprinkles? Package up your strawberries in a little box and make someone’s day or treat yourself!
Looking for an easy dessert for Valentine’s Day dinner? Try my lemoncello affogato (ice cream topped with lemoncello). See recipe below.
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES
- 24 large strawberries, rinsed and thoroughly dried
- 12 ounces chocolate, dark, milk or white (roughly chopped if using a bar of chocolate)
- TOPPINGS of your choice: coconut, heart sprinkles, rainbow sprinkles, roasted cacao nibs, drizzle of caramel or melted white chocolate.
- Prep your dipping and decorating station: Have your sprinkles and toppings ready for dipping, a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and all of the strawberries washed and dried before you begin melting the chocolate.
- Dry the strawberries: Double-check that your strawberries are completely dry and free of moisture. This is very important in order for the chocolate to stick to the strawberries.
- Melt the chocolate, stovetop directions: Place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. There should be a couple of inches of space between the water and the bowl. THE WATER SHOULD NOT BE BOILING! Place chocolate in the bowl. Continuously stir the chocolate as it's melting. Just before the chocolate has fully melted remove the bowl from the heat and continue stirring until all of the remaining chocolate bits have melted. Avoid overheating the chocolate because this can cause the chocolate to seize.
- Melt the chocolate, microwave directions: Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl by microwaving in approximately 20-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until just before all of the chocolate has fully melted. Continue stirring until the remaining chocolate bits have melted.
- Dip the strawberries in the chocolate: Hold the strawberry by the leaves and dip it into the melted chocolate being sure to leave a little of the top of the berry showing. Lift and allow the excess chocolate to run off. You can also slide the strawberry across the inside edge of the bowl to help remove some of the excess chocolate.
- Decorate the strawberries (optional): holding the chocolate dipped strawberry over a bowl, sprinkle it with desired toppings.
- Place strawberry on parchment lined sheet pan.
- Allow the chocolate to set: Let the strawberries sit at room temperature and serve.
- If not enjoying immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, keeping in mind that they may develop condensation.
Grab some vanilla ice cream (vegan ice cream works too) and a bottle of lemoncello. In a small glass or ice cream bowl, add two scoops of ice cream and pour 2-3 tablespoons of lemoncello over the ice cream. Top with a lemon twist and a biscotti or other cookie. Enjoy!